Job Interview Skills
Success at a job interview is not just about answering the questions correctly. You must also include all the following elements in order to give a good impression and build rapport:
Things to do at the job interview:
- Have a good handshake
- Pronounce the interviewer’s name PROPERLY. (You can often get the pronunciation by calling the company after hours and listening to the interviewer’s voicemail greeting.)
- Get the interviewer to do a lot of the talking. Have your break through questions ready.
- Keep good eye contact with your interviewer.
- Smile. Look as if you are enjoying the conversation.
- Maintain a confident posture.
- Mirror your interviewer’s body language.
- Keep all your answers positive.
- Show ENTHUSIASM.
- LISTEN carefully to the interviewer’s question.
- Get the interviewer to SEE you in the job by responding to questions with examples that create pictures in the interviewer’s mind.
Things to avoid at the job interview
- Do not smoke–even if the interview does and it’s lunch time. If you are a smoker keep your suit in a bag hanging in your closet and don’t take it out until you have had your last cigarette before you go to the interview.
- Do not put your note pad or anything on the interviewers desk, ever, unless you are told to do so. Putting your things on other people’s desks is invading their space.
- Do not abbreviate the interviewers name unless the interviewer asks you to. For example, if the interviewer asks you to call her “Debbie”, DO NOT call her “Debs”.
- Do not rest your foot on top of your knee. (Crossing your legs is fine, just don’t put your shoe on top of your knee.)
- Do not fold your arms. (It’s bad body language that communicates that you are not open to the questions you are being asked.)
- Do not fidget. It is easy to tap your pen or fidget with your hair — don’t do it!
- Do not criticize former bosses.
For interview coaching in Pittsburgh call (412) 478-6785
Public Speaking & Presentation Skills Training.
Phone: (412) 478-6785 Pittsburgh office
Interview Coaching and Public Speaking Classes
3019 Swansea West, Pittsburgh PA 15101