Proper job interview preparation
A list of the steps to take before you go to the interview
- Research the company. Look for your breakthrough* questions.
- Research the industry. Look for your breakthrough* questions.
- Research the person who will be interviewing you. Look for your breakthrough* questions.
- Make a list of the skills you think someone who gets the job will need.
- Prepare stories that demonstrate that you have those skills.
- Green flag your resume — that means knowing what parts of your resume make you perfect for the job.
- Red flag your resume — that means taking a critical look at it to see what might make the interviewer question whether you are right for the job. Prepare to overcome those objections.
- Know exactly what points you want to make about yourself to show that you are the person for the job.
- Prepare your answer to “Tell me about yourself” so that it relates directly to the skills you need for the specific job you are interviewing for.
- Prepare answers for “What are your strengths and weaknesses?” so that you are on target for the specific job you are interviewing for.
- Prepare your answer to “Why did you leave your last job?” and “How long have you been unemployed?”
- Think of the questions you would ask if you were the interviewer. Be ready for these questions.
- Have your breakthrough* questions ready.
- Research the salary for the job.
- Prepare small talk. (Things to say in order to brake the ice before the interview begins.)
- Know how to pronounce your interviewer’s name.
- Get ready for your appearance. Sew up the lining of your coat, polish your shoes, organize your briefcase etc.
*Breakthrough questions are the questions you can insert into the interview at the appropriate moment to get the interviewer to do the talking. If you can get the interviewer to enjoy talking with you, instead of it just being a question and answer session, then you will stand out as a top candidate.
For interview coaching in Pittsburgh call (412) 478-6785 Practice makes perfect! Schedule a coaching session with Sally Chopping to practice your interviewing techniques.
Public Speaking & Presentation Skills Training.
Phone: (412) 478-6785 Pittsburgh office
Interview Coaching and Public Speaking Classes
3019 Swansea West, Pittsburgh PA 15101
Job Interview Practice Questions
College interview practice questions
Contact our Pittsburgh office for job interview coaching and public speaking classes and private coaching.
ACTING FOR BUSINESS
Public speaking coaching links
About the coach ►
Contact the coach ►
Public speaking classes ►
Public speaking coaching ►
Keynote speaker ►
Presentation tips ►
College interview coaching ►
Job interview coaching ►