Job Interview Skills
Success at a job interview is not just about answering the questions correctly. You must also include all the following elements in order to give a good impression and build rapport:
Things to do at the job interview:
- Have a good handshake
- Pronounce the interviewer’s name PROPERLY. (You can often get the pronunciation by calling the company after hours and listening to the interviewer’s voicemail greeting.)
- Get the interviewer to do a lot of the talking. Have your break through questions ready.
- Keep good eye contact with your interviewer.
- Smile. Look as if you are enjoying the conversation.
- Maintain a confident posture.
- Mirror your interviewer’s body language.
- Keep all your answers positive.
- Show ENTHUSIASM.
- LISTEN carefully to the interviewer’s question.
- Get the interviewer to SEE you in the job by responding to questions with examples that create pictures in the interviewer’s mind.
Things to avoid at the job interview
- Do not smoke–even if the interview does and it’s lunch time. If you are a smoker keep your suit in a bag hanging in your closet and don’t take it out until you have had your last cigarette before you go to the interview.
- Do not put your note pad or anything on the interviewers desk, ever, unless you are told to do so. Putting your things on other people’s desks is invading their space.
- Do not abbreviate the interviewers name unless the interviewer asks you to. For example, if the interviewer asks you to call her “Debbie”, DO NOT call her “Debs”.
- Do not rest your foot on top of your knee. (Crossing your legs is fine, just don’t put your shoe on top of your knee.)
- Do not fold your arms. (It’s bad body language that communicates that you are not open to the questions you are being asked.)
- Do not fidget. It is easy to tap your pen or fidget with your hair — don’t do it!
- Do not criticize former bosses.
For interview coaching in Pittsburgh call (412) 478-6785
Public Speaking & Presentation Skills Training.
Phone: (412) 478-6785 Pittsburgh office
Interview Coaching and Public Speaking Classes
3019 Swansea West, Pittsburgh PA 15101
Job Interview Practice Questions
College interview practice questions
Contact our Pittsburgh office for job interview coaching and public speaking classes and private coaching.
ACTING FOR BUSINESS
Public speaking links
About the coach ►
Contact the coach ►
Public speaking classes ►
Public speaking coaching ►
Keynote speaker ►
Presentation tips ►
College interview coaching ►
Job interview coaching ►